Thursday, January 16, 2014

Garden Planning Series, Day 1

There are a few things to consider when planning a garden. (By the way, I've decided to break this garden planning thing up into a few different posts to save you the riveting experience of reading a garden planning novel. I think it’ll be easier to follow this way).

1. Are you going to start from seed, or purchase seedlings? Consider winter sowing as a frugal approach to starting from seed (allowing you to avoid the hefty price tags of grow lights).

2. Are you doing raised beds, container gardens, or a traditional garden in the ground? A combination? Pinterest houses a wealth of ideas on container gardening and raised beds. Go there and browse!

3. How much growing space do you have?

4. What are you going to grow this year?

A lot of garden planning articles will tell you to start small. Learn how to grow a couple of things, then add more next year. That's cool. If you're patient. I'm not. So, I say go big or go home, baby. That may or may not be the advice of a Type-A, overachieving, run-yourself-into-the-ground, kind of person. I like to just go for it. Some of your plants may not thrive. So what? You'll still learn something and gain wisdom to use next year. Failure is okay. It's actually guaranteed in the world of gardening. You just have to learn from it, apply your new knowledge to next year, and carry on. Each pack of seeds costs a couple of bucks. You probably won’t even use an entire packet in one season for most things, so really, you don’t have a whole lot to lose here.

Watchya gonna grow? Grow things that your family enjoys eating. That's a given. 
onions
Another important tip is to use your space efficiently. Last year I allotted a lot of garden space to growing onions and carrots because we eat a lot of them. In hindsight, organic onions and carrots are one of the most affordable organic produce items at my grocery store and at the local farm stands. I'd rather use my limited garden space for things that are extremely expensive to buy, or that I can't find locally. Butternut squash costs $1/lbs around here (and that’s for conventional, GMO squash that is probably not grown anywhere near me). I was able to grow 60-70 lbs of squash, it was heirloom, it was grown organically. All from 2 vines. I spent about $2.50 for that pack of seeds and I have plenty left for this years garden. That’s a solid investment of my time, money, and space.
 
Plus, I kept pulling my carrots too early because I was too impatient. I wanted to see my beautiful multicolored carrots!! My impatience basically meant a waste of seed money and garden space.
Caliope Carrots
Oookay. Welp. That is one cute kid holding some seriously beautiful, albeit tiny, carrots (those are the caliope carrots from Botanical Interests, btw!). Maybe we’ll grow just a few carrots this year. Winking smile 
 
How many of each plant should you grow? I always use this chart as a guideline. It's for a family of 4, so I adjust as necessary. Plus I like to grow extra for freezing and canning.

Once you have a list of what you're going to grow, you can choose varieties from your seed catalogs and place your first order! Read the descriptions and take the length of your growing season into consideration (find your first and last frost dates by zip code HERE . I like to break my seed orders up so that it's not a significant strain on my budget to order all at once. I'll start with ordering the first few crops I plan to plant, which would be things like your brassicas, lettuces, carrots etc. Then with the next paycheck, I'll order a few more seed packets.

Alright, that’s it for now! Adios muchachos.
 
Next up: Mapping it out.


I shared this over at: Frugally Sustainable













No comments:

Post a Comment