Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 and Garden Planning

Happy New Year!!

We had a busy, yet relaxing Christmas this year. Sounds kind of conflicting, doesn’t it? We were busy in that we spent a great deal of time moving from one family party to another, but it was relaxing because we were so at peace with it. I’ve always found holiday party hopping to be extremely stressful. I really resented it. This year, though, something was different. I was honestly just thankful for the opportunity to be able to visit with so many friends and family. Not that there’s anything wrong with wanting things to be low key. There isn’t. I just really wanted to take this season to be thankful that we have the ability to visit. I know so many live far away from their family. Holidays can get lonely when everyone you know and love is far away. I found more relaxation and peace in my decision to be grateful than I ever did in my resistance in previous years where I sort of dug my heels into the ground about the whole thing. Gratitude … it’s something that I’m working on within myself. Among other things. Winking smile
004 (3)
022
So, now we’re on to 2014! I’m not big on New Years Resolutions, but I do have a few goals for the homestead. I want to continue to work towards growing as much as our own food as possible. Maybe get few laying hens. Continue fixing up the house for resale (so that we can some day move onto our dream homestead). Last year I chose a virtue that I wanted to work on, and I really worked toward being more humble. This year, I’d like to work on being more charitable. With my time, resources, talents, personality, in the way I treat others, in the way I perceive others, etc.
014 (2)

We’re in the middle of a wimpy sort of winter storm right now. I don’t really think it qualifies as a storm, but the weather people are issuing severe winter storm warnings. What do you think? Does 3-5 inches of snow sound like severe winter weather to you? I suppose it’s all relative. I remember the ice storm of 1991. I was very young at the time, but I still remember days without power and being huddled around my grandparent’s wood burning stove for warmth. So, most things sort of pale in comparison.
042
(My daughter got ahold of my camera and messed with the settings…that’s why the date and time stamp are there. And way off.)
Being holed up in the house for a few days while the wind chills are in the negative have me daydreaming about Spring. And this leads me to garden planning. Naturally. I know it sounds sort of crazy to be thinking about a garden in the dead of winter, but I’ll actually be starting planting in just a few weeks. Yep- Sowing seeds in January in Western, New York! More on that later.

So, I’ve got a cup of tea, my box of seeds (I’m pretty sure that there’s a proper way to store seeds from year to year that doesn’t involve an old baby wipes container. Note to self: Research seed storage), my 2014 seed catalogs, and some scrap paper. I’ll do a separate post on garden planning. How I do it, anyway. Have I mentioned yet that I have a notoriously BLACK thumb? Prior to last year, I hadn’t ever really kept a plant alive for long. So, I’m certainly not an expert. I did have an exceptionally successful garden last year, though. So I’m happy to share what I’m learning as I go along.
043
045
048

In the meantime, I recommend ordering seed catalogues from companies who offer HEIRLOOM seeds (aka not genetically modified. You’ve heard of the GMO debate with Monsanto and the like, yes? No? Do you live under a rock?). Anywho, here are a couple of my faves:
https://botanicalinterests.com/
www.rareseeds.com
It’s also helpful to locate a local nursery that offers heirloom seedlings. Last year I had a heck of a time germinating tomatoes for some reason, and I was able to get heirloom tomato starts from a local nursery that saved my behind. Starting from seed is ideal for the budget, but sometimes you just need a little help.

Also: Pick up a pad of graph paper and start collecting clear containers, such as clear milk jugs and the clear clamshell type produce containers. Meet me back here in a few days- I’ll discuss more garden planning then.

P.S. You will notice from my above photographs that I am not one of those bloggers with mad photography skills. I promise to work on that. Maybe. If I can find time.

- Ashley

I linked this post to: Frugally Sustainable and Homestead Barn Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment