Thursday, July 10, 2014

Healthy No Bake Energy Bites That Actually Taste Good




I know there are a lot of no-bake cookie recipes out there, but I've never been impressed with any of them. Some of them are "okay". Others I would rank as "edible". I never saved any of the recipes for them because I just wasn't terribly impressed.

THESE, my friends, are something different. THIS no-bake snack tastes good. Really good. They whip up quickly. You don't have to bake them, obviously, which is great for summertime when you don't want the oven heating up the house. You actually store them in the freezer, so they're a great cool snack (just set them out for 5ish minutes so they soften up a bit).

Plus ... check out those ingredients. Healthy! I may or may not have served these things for breakfast a couple of times. I found the base recipe from Amy's blog at Plain and Not So Plain (great blog for larger families, by the way). Amy says that having these energy bites on hand was key while she was losing 70lbs. When she was craving something sweet, she grabbed one of these instead of gorging on something unhealthy.

I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly based on our tastes and what I had on hand. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 c. Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (Quick Oats would probably be fine)
1 c. Peanut Butter (Or your favorite nut butter- almond, cashew etc.)
2/3 c. Honey (Local, if possible!)
2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
1 c. ground flax meal.
1 c. chocolate chips (alternative: dried fruit, butterscotch chips)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients and roll into little balls (this is easiest to do with slightly damp hands). Put the energy bites onto your lined cookie sheet, and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen solid, you can transfer them to a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer. When you're ready to eat them, just pull them out and let them sit on a plate for 5ish minutes to help them soften up a bit. Enjoy!


----This is a list of some of the awesome sites that I occassionally link my posts at. They're all great blogs about anything from parenting, simple living, cooking, homesteading (backyard and large scale), gardening, Christian life, frugal living, etc. Check them out!----
The Chicken ChickThe Prairie Homestead- Homestead Barn HopStrangers and Pilgrims on Earth- The Art of HomemakingHomestead Bloggers Network- Tasty TuesdayBackyard Farming ConnectionGrowing Home- Growing HomemakersWildcrafting Wednesday, So Much At HomeHope in Every SeasonGreen Thumb ThursdayHome Acre HopFrom the Farm HopFarmgirl FridayFront Porch FridaySimple Meals Friday, Better Hens and Gardens.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, these look delicious! The ingredients are similar to my no-bake granola bars so I know this would be a hit for our family. I am going to try these :) Thanks for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. Please join us again next week!

    (Anything with a chocolate chip is usually a hit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jes, thanks so much for stopping over! I know your link parties gets tons of links, so it means a lot that you clicked on my link. I'll definitely be back for more Art of Home-Making Mondays. :) I hope you enjoy the energy bites!

      Delete